Your holiday experience of a lifetime starts here

If you’re looking for the perfect year-round climate, funky beaches, exotic nightlife, quaint local people, dog-friendly bordellos, piquant food, a low mosquito count, and every allurement of ‘a holiday to remember’, look no further than Luton!

Ideally situated in the very heart of England, and conveniently accessible by all major air, balloon, rail, barge and cabriolet services, Luton is deservedly the nation’s most popular budget vacation destination.

In this modest site, I have tried to convey - with the most painful honesty - my own passion for this little town whose ethnic lanes and leafy underpasses I have so often explored myself by horse and motor scooter, riding side saddle.

Please do take a moment from your busy day to sample at least one of my Luton Delights in the column at your left. And don't forget to reserve your copy of my book.

Welcome to Secret Luton!

Mrs Celia Fiennes
Diarist & widow

Sunday 16 August 2009

Luton Poetry


In many of the public toilets (‘loos’) in Luton’s inns you will find a blackboard affixed to the wall along with convenient chalks of many colours. You can discover which ward of the town you are in merely by the graffiti on these boards, I am told.

So you will find that the loos adjacent to the celebrated university are typically adorned with clever Latin epigrams. For example:

‘If cogitum ergo sum,
This really is quite rum.
For (sweet reader) I have never thought of you.’

Note: cogitum ergo sum is a witty critique, of course, of Descartes' dictum cogito ergo sum. It means: ‘I am thought therefore I am’. It’s why so many people post blogs.

Further afield, the poetry lapses into the vulgate. Thus:

‘There was a young lady of Luton
Who could no longer get her best suit on.
She said "diets are grim, but I have to grow slim.
I shall dine on a defrosted crouton".’

In the unregulated Liberties of Luton’s south bank, the verse degrades entirely. Viz:

‘Do not read this!
Or your shoes you won’t miss
While you’re taking a piss.
Pish! Told you so.’

Of course, I have no knowledge of the graffiti that might be found in the gentlemen’s loos. I report only that which I have personally found in the ladies’.