Your holiday experience of a lifetime starts here

If you’re looking for the perfect year-round climate, funky beaches, exotic nightlife, quaint local people, dog-friendly bordellos, piquant food, a low mosquito count, and every allurement of ‘a holiday to remember’, look no further than Luton!

Ideally situated in the very heart of England, and conveniently accessible by all major air, balloon, rail, barge and cabriolet services, Luton is deservedly the nation’s most popular budget vacation destination.

In this modest site, I have tried to convey - with the most painful honesty - my own passion for this little town whose ethnic lanes and leafy underpasses I have so often explored myself by horse and motor scooter, riding side saddle.

Please do take a moment from your busy day to sample at least one of my Luton Delights in the column at your left. And don't forget to reserve your copy of my book.

Welcome to Secret Luton!

Mrs Celia Fiennes
Diarist & widow

Sunday 16 August 2009

Luton Merry Tales


I will do the reader an ill service if I failed to relate the following true anecdotes. They give a faithful picture of the unique Luton world-view or weltanschaung (although, as was once observed of the Kaiser, a little German goes a long way).

The Jolly Surgeons

I was myself in the Romping Donkey tavern adjacent to the Luton & Dunstable Hospital when I overheard this amiable exchange:

Surgeon 1: 'How is your patient, sir?'

Surgeon 2: 'Oh, I cut him, sir!'

Surgeon 1: 'How deep did you cut him?'

Surgeon 2: 'I cut him, sir, for four guineas and two shillings!'

Surgeon 1: 'Ho, ho, ho!'

From this, it may be inferred that it might be unwise to present yourself at the L & D Hospital.

The Foolish Fop

This merry tale was imparted to me by a gentleman friend, a newspaper reporter, and therefore a man of the highest integrity. It seems there was a tall fop walking down George Street, Luton. He wore a great hat and feather, red and orange holiday hose, and a turquoise madrillon or half-cape on his shoulder.

This was presumably in case he should, by popular acclaim, be thrust suddenly into Luton's bull ring but inexplicably deprived of picadors.

A hobbledehoy (the local term for a young lad) saw him and darted into a carnival shop. The lad emerged wearing bells on his legs, a fool's cap on his head, and waving a fribblestick. He danced manically around the fop.

The fop roared: 'What, rascal, are you mad?'

'I cry you mercy, sir,' the urchin apologised 'but I took you for a maypole.'

In Luton, this jest is considered to be very funny.